Lucky enough I have friends who love going to museums. My first approach is to understand the visitor’s expectation and some pain points and needs so that I talked to them.
Talking to museum goers
- Sometimes, people visit museums because they have an expectation. It isn’t something about excitement or something else but just the expected atmosphere or even the feeling of calmness and browsing an open space. (Erica)
- Museums are more and more considered as a landmark from the exterior shapes than how it is designed and well lead interior. Losing the intention to be a place where culture is presented, shared, preserved and educated. (Erica)
- Because she grew up going to museums, now whenever she visits a new city, It is natural to check out the museums the city has. (Paola)
- Going to a museum is really expensive for the people who does have resources like time, money and help. For example, a working mother of 4 children, living in the outskirt of a city won’t have time to go to museums. Also, the transportation fee to get to the museum and/or admission fee will be a huge spending for her. So can museums go to them instead of them come to museums? (Paola)
- She sees a lot of people around her going to museums to see something new and aesthetically pleasing. This trend not much a fit to the traditional museum setting where old stuff is just old stuff. New storytelling, new installation or even something that is easy to post and share through SNS seems like what people of SNS generation want. (Min)
- Audience: 50+, in groups, tourists,
- Actions: taking photos, talking to the group, reading the texts, looking at art
New concepts to think about
- Pop-up museum.
- I’ve been only looking at needs of the museum goers and museum staffs, but I need to know about the needs of people who do not go to a museum.
- What is the new trend we see as space, as an event, as a habit?