Department of Veterans’ Services (DVS) is the first new City agency dedicated to serving the city's veterans and their families. Formally it was the Mayor's Office of Veterans Affairs (MOVA) and it is in the process of building capacity for City-wide outreach, services and engagement. My team paired with DVS’s communication team to design how might DVS communicate to NYC’s veterans. We conducted research to gather insights which lead to designing a solution that covers different needs of NYC veterans with different touch points including offline advertisings, website redesign and outreach program.
Because the DVS’ presence is relatively unknown due to its short history, in effect as of April 8, 2016, it is a crucial time to reach out to the NYC veterans as a new agency and distinguish its brand amongst other veteran related agencies including the Veterans Affair.
Questions need to be answered:
- What kinds of benefit information do veterans want to learn about?
- What is the most effective way for veterans to learn about services/benefits?
- How do organizations reach out to veterans?
- How do organizations currently communicate with veterans?
- How do organizations build and sustain veteran community?
Veterans Affair hospital, veteran owned market place, & local veterans community center
- Think of Veterans’ in terms of their needs rather than era they served in.
- DVS’ presence is relatively unknown.
- Veterans learn about benefits through their personal networks.
- DVS’ social media engagement is low.
- Existing information on website is fragmented and hard to find relevant information.
1: Ads in Public Spaces
- Establish DVS presence
- Increase web traffic
- Target different personas
- Other possible channels: advertising in 3rd party website, apps that are frequently used by veterans
2: Redesign of Website
- Optimized Navigation System for Different Needs
- Increase personalization for different users
- Fast & easy navigation
- Include all up to date feeds from DVS social media platforms
- Section for veteran related events calendar
- Simplify information and put Vet-friendly voice to team introduction
Effective Outreach Program
- Get into Vet’s social circle & create network effect
- Introducing DVS brand
- Humanizing DVS brand